Who doesn’t like pizza? I know most of you do right? I’m an experimental foodie and like being creative in the kitchen so I enjoy the challenge of creating healthier alternatives of some of my favourite foods.
I have made a variety of home made pizzas, with different bases in the past. I have even tried making a cauliflower based pizza before but at the time I wasn’t really a fan of cauliflower. Likewise, the process of squeezing out as much water content as possible was time consuming, so the courgette based pizza was something I definitely wanted to give a try.
Yields 1| 6 slices | Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
For the base:
- 2 courgettes
- 200g grated mozzarella
- 1 medium egg
- salt and pepper to taste
For the toppings:
- 2 unsmoked bacon rashers
- 6 slices (30g) pepperoni
- 1 tsp bbq sauce
- 1 spring onion (finely sliced)
- handful of mixed bell peppers (finely sliced)
- handful of spinach
- 1 tsp crushed chillies
For the tomato sauce:
- 200g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Pre heat the oven to 200ºc and line a baking sheet with some grease proof paper.
- Grate the courgettes and place in a clean tea towel and squeeze and pat any water out.
- In a bowl, combine the grated courgettes, egg, 100g of grated mozzarella, a pinch of salt and mix well.
- Spread the mixture thinly into whatever shape you like, it should be about 3 mm thick.
- Bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes until golden brown with crispy edges. *Tip: You can trim off the edges so that the base looks a bit neater.
- For the pizza tomato sauce, add coconut oil or any oil of choice to a frying pan and add the finely sliced garlic.
- Once the garlic begins to colour lightly add tinned chopped tomatoes, followed by the rest of your seasoning and allow to simmer on medium heat for 5 -7 minutes.
- Allow the tomato sauce to cool down before placing on the pizza crust.
- Add the remaining grated Mozzarella and all toppings. Sprinkle crushed chillies to finish. * For the bacon, cut into strips and mix 1 tsp of bbq sauce.
- Return the pizza in the oven and bake to your preference of how well cooked you like your toppings.
For further assistance making this recipe, do not hesitate to comment below or contact me via email. Enjoy!
Nutritional Info (based on 1 slice ): 129.6 Calories | 2.2 g Protein | 2.1 g Carbs | 9 g Fat | 0.5 g Fibre * This may slightly differ depending on where you buy your ingredients from.