These festive courgette bites are a simple starter to make for your friends and family at Christmas. Courgettes also are known as zucchini are very versatile to cook with and have many health benefits.
Health benefits of Courgettes:
- They contain significant levels of potassium which helps control blood pressure.
- They are super low in calories. It contains no saturated fats or cholesterol.
- The skin of courgettes is a good source of dietary fibre which helps slow down digestion, and so stabilises blood sugar and insulin levels.
- It contains useful amounts of vitamin c which helps boosts the immune system.
Yield: Makes 10 Bites | Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 courgettes
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 8 pepperoni slices
- 1 spring onion
- Mixed bell peppers
- Sunflower cooking spray oil
- salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pre heats the oven to 180ºc and line a baking sheet with some greaseproof paper.
- Chop courgette ends off and cuts into small even slices.
- Heat a large pan to medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add courgettes and cook and flip once after 2 minutes on each side. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cut pepperoni slices, bell peppers and spring onions into small pieces.
- Place cooked courgette slices onto a lined baking sheet. Top each courgette slice with marinara sauce, followed by, mozzarella, pepperoni, peppers and spring onions.
- Place into oven and cook for about 8-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and serve warm.
For further assistance making this recipe, comment below or contact me via email. Enjoy!
What’s everyone having for starters on Christmas day?
Nutritional Info (based on 1 courgette bite): 43 Calories | 3 g Protein | 2 g Carbs | 2 g Fat * This may slightly vary depending on where you buy your ingredients from.