Courgettes, zucchini or whatever you like to call them are basically the same thing and are now becoming one of my favourite vegetables. Swapping your traditional pasta sheets for sliced courgettes will slash your calorie count and greatly decrease the carbs.
This deliciously low carb, high protein meal will keep you full for longer and trust me you probably won’t miss the pasta. You can find some great courgette health benefits here.
Makes 6 Servings | Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 3 courgettes
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500g lean beef mince
- 250g grated mozzarella
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1-2 maggi cubes
- 1 carrot, peeled, sliced (optional)
- handful of spinach (optional)
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp all purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed red chilli
- 1 tsp garlic and ginger paste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Pre heat the oven to 180ºc.
- Heat coconut oil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add the mince, season well and cook until golden brown for 5 minutes. Add onions, bell peppers, garlic and ginger paste and cook, stirring from time to time for about 2 minutes.
- Add tinned tomatoes, maggi cube and sliced carrots to the saucepan and stir well. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Chop ends of courgettes and thinly slice lengthwise.
- Lightly grease or line a deep baking dish with grease proof paper or foil.
- Start by arranging a layer of courgettes at the bottom, ensuring the slices of courgettes are arranged so that they completely cover the bottom of the dish.
- Next, top your layer of courgettes with about half the beef mixture, then sprinkle a handful of cheese on top. This is followed by one layer of spinach.
- Repeat with a second layer of courgettes, topped with the rest of the beef mixture, handful of cheese and the final layer of courgette slices.
- Top with cheese and sprinkle crushed red chillies to finish.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes until cheese has melted and golden-brown.
Enjoy this dish on its own or serve with green salad or greens.
For further assistance making this recipe, comment below or contact me via email. Enjoy!
Nutritional Info (per serving): 315 Calories | 29 g Protein | 6 g Carbs | 20 g Fat * This may slightly differ depending on where you buy your ingredients from.