My friend kindly gifted me some meat masala all the way from India and decided to get creative in the kitchen and make a couple of Indian inspired recipes. These delicious and simple to make garam masala chicken skewers was one of them.
They are perfect for a summer barbecue! Make a few extras and serve as a platter with a yoghurt dip, salad, rice or some flat breads.
- 600g chicken breast fillets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Mixed bell peppers, chopped into large chunks
- 1 red onion, sliced into squares
- 1-2 tbsp Meat masala/Garam masala
- 90g natural Greek yoghurt
- 60ml olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Fresh coriander
- Pinch of salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
You will also need
- Combine all the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl and mix well with the chicken, ensuring each chicken piece is coated well. Cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour or up to a day.
- Thread a piece of chicken onto a skewer, followed by bell pepper slice, then an onion slice Repeat until you use up all the chicken.
- Grill the chicken skewers at 180°c for 6-7 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander, then serve with salad.
- If you’re using the bamboo skewers, please soak them in water for at least 15 minutes as this prevents the skewers from burning.
- For alternative cooking methods, these chicken skewers can be pan-fried for 15 minutes or baked in the oven at 180° C for 15 - 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- You can use skinless chicken thigh fillets instead of chicken breasts fillets for these skewers. I find chicken thighs juicer so this is my preference nowadays. Cook the chicken thigh fillets for about 20 to 30 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 443Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 133mgSodium: 296mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 50g
This may slightly differ depending on where you buy your ingredients.
Thanks for reading! If you use my recipe, please tag me on Instagram or Twitter, as I would love to see your pictures. For further assistance making this recipe, comment below or contact me via email. Enjoy!