My friend kindly gifted me some meat masala all the way from India and decided to get creative in the kitchen and make a couple of Indian-inspired recipes. These delicious and simple to make garam masala chicken skewers were one of them.
They are perfect for a summer barbecue! Make a few extras and serve as a platter with a yoghurt dip, salad, rice or some flatbreads.
GARAM MASALA CHICKEN SKEWERS STEP BY STEP RECIPE VIDEO TUTORIAL
- 600g chicken breast fillets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- Mixed bell peppers, chopped into large chunks
- 1 red onion, sliced into squares
- 1-2 tbsp Meat masala/Garam masala
- 90g natural Greek yoghurt
- 60ml olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Fresh coriander
- Pinch of salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
You will also need
- Combine all the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl and mix well with the chicken, ensuring each chicken piece is coated well. Cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour or up to a day.
- Thread a piece of chicken onto a skewer, followed by bell pepper slice, then an onion slice Repeat until you use up all the chicken.
- Grill the chicken skewers at 180°c for 6-7 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Sprinkle with fresh coriander, then serve with salad.
- If you’re using the bamboo skewers, please soak them in water for at least 15 minutes as this prevents the skewers from burning.
- For alternative cooking methods, these chicken skewers can be pan-fried for 15 minutes or baked in the oven at 180° C for 15 - 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- You can use skinless chicken thigh fillets instead of chicken breasts fillets for these skewers. I find chicken thighs juicer so this is my preference nowadays. Cook the chicken thigh fillets for about 20 to 30 minutes.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 443Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 133mgSodium 296mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 50g
This may slightly differ depending on where you buy your ingredients.
Thanks for reading! If you have tried this recipe, please leave a review and star rating which you can find this at the bottom of the page and recipe card. For further assistance making this recipe, comment below or contact me via email. Enjoy!