I have been eyeing a bottle of fresh organic groundnuts my parents brought back from Nigeria. Making this actually reminded me of the time my parents used to hide peanut butter or peanuts because I had a peanut allergy when I was much younger. Turns out you can actually outgrow a peanut allergy even though the probability of that happening is about 20%.
Peanut butter contains an abundance of good fats which can help reduce heart disease, lower cholesterol and blood pressure. However, commercial peanut butter brands also consist of artificial ingredients, flavour enhancers, high amounts of sodium and sugar.
This is such a simple recipe which requires no oil, water or salt and will save you a bit of money if you frequently buy peanut butter.
Recommended serving size: 2 tbsp (28.3 g) |Total time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup roasted peanuts/ groundnuts
- 1 -2 tbsp honey or sweetener (optional, for sweeter peanut butter)
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or high-speed blender and blend until desired smooth and creamy consistency, stopping to scrape down the sides of the blender cup with a spatula as needed. * I used a Nutri ninja blender.
- Scrape the peanut butter and transfer into an airtight container, store and refrigerate for up to 2 months.
Tip: Ensure to give your blender a break from time to time as this process can take up to 10 minutes depending on the food processor or blender you use.
The key is to really be patient with your food processor or blender. I have left mine as a thicker spreadable creamy paste based on preference but you can definitely achieve a much smoother peanut butter paste.
If you use my recipe, tag me on Instagram (diywithjoy_) or twitter (DIYWITHJOY), as I would love to see your pictures.
For further assistance making this recipe, do not hesitate to comment below or contact me via email. Enjoy!
- For this recipe, you can substitute for any nut of your choice to make another nut butter like almond butter or cashew butter.
- You can use nuts that already come pre-roasted from the store.
Nutritional Info (per serving): 93 Calories | 4 g Protein | 5 g Carbs | 7 g Fat * This may slightly differ depending on where you buy your ingredients from.
This looks delicious! 🙂
Thank you ?
Thank you ?
Oh wow never thought about making my own peanut butter! Great post and nice photos 🙂
Yeah I wish I knew earlier as it’s pretty simple to make and yummy too! Thank you ?