Puff-puff is a traditional snack often found in western African countries such as Nigeria, Ghana and Sierra Leone. They are deep-fried dough balls that are golden brown on the outside, and spongy and fluffy on the inside. Growing up, my mum would get me to be her Sous-Chef and we would make large batches of puff-puff and meat pies for church events, friends and family.
Oreo puff-puff is a great twist on the popular street food snack and Nigerian dessert. I have seen amazing pictures of this creation online in the past and always wondered how they added Oreos to the mix. While searching for a recipe online, I had no luck. I needed to make a snack for a work event and decided to just go for it and create my own recipe.
Oreo Puff-Puff Recipe
Oreo puff-puff is a yummy twist on the popular Nigerian street food snack, puff-puff. They are deep-fried dough balls that are golden brown on the outside, spongy and fluffy on the inside with chocolatey sandwich biscuits along with a vanilla flavour filling.
- 3 Cups of Plain Flour
- ½ Cup of Self-Raising Flour
- 2 Cups of Lukewarm Water
- 1 Sachet of Dry Yeast (7g)
- 1 Cup of Caster Sugar
- ½ tsp Nutmeg (optional)
- A Pinch of Cinnamon (optional)
- 3 Packets of Oreo Biscuits
- Oil For Frying
- In a large bowl, combine the plain flour, self-raising flour, yeast, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and mix well.
- Add lukewarm water slowly while mixing, ensuring there a no lumps and the batter is smooth.
- Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen cloth and set aside near a warm area for at least 1-2 hours to allow the batter to proof and rise (the batter will look thick and smooth with a couple of bubbles).
- In a deep frying pan, heat the oil until it’s hot.
- Dip an Oreo into the batter, ensuring every part of the oreo is covered with the batter. Dip a tablespoon or your hand in a bowl of water first before scooping the batter with the oreo to form a small ball shape (the size of a tennis ball and drop inside the oil). Repeat these steps until the pan with the oil has no space to fit any dough balls.
- Fry the puff- puff on both sides for a few minutes until golden brown. Take out the puff-puff balls immediately when golden brown to ensure they do not burn and place in a sieve or bowl with paper towels which reduces any excess oil on the puff-puff.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream, a sprinkle of icing sugar and chocolate sauce.
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 256Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 82mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 1gSugar 21gProtein 5g
This may slightly vary depending on where you buy your ingredients.
If you use my recipe, please share your lovely pictures with me on Instagram and Twitter. For further guidance on making this recipe, comment below or contact me via email. Enjoy!
Please pin, share and comment below!
Deep fried Oreos sounds so yummy! My kids would be bouncing off the walls after this 🙂
Yes they definitely would, it’s such a yummy treat! 😊